Risks to watch in 2011
The World Economic Forum released a report on global risks to watch in 2011. You can find it here.
I believe this is a helpful list of risks affecting the global economy – for organizations to reflect on how these issues might affect them. I would not recommend it for any other purpose.
My top ten risks (not in any order) are not nearly as exciting as floods and famine:
- The inability to practice effective risk management, enabling risk-intelligent decisions, strategies, and actions. What can you conclude when only 12% of global companies of size have a CRO?
- Failing to understand the velocity of risks, and being surprised because you only look for and consider risks every three or six months instead of managing risk at the speed of business
- Complacency by risk officers and executives – “our risk management is fine” and “we survived the last crisis so no changes are necessary”
- Being so risk-averse (due to regulatory influences, for example) that the organization fails to optimize performance
- Continuing to take risks you don’t understand (think derivatives or doing business in an emerging nation)
- Focusing on the risk of new technology (such as social media) but not leveraging it to full advantage
- Racing to leverage the benefits of technology without sufficient up-front attention to risk
- Failing to ensure the information necessary to run the business (including risk management) is timely, current, reliable, and complete – and in the hands of the people who need it
- Failing to understand that technology is changing how people live and work – and failing to adapt the business model, processes, practices, etc.
- Business as usual
What are your top ten?
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
- Will the Updated COSO Internal Control Framework Create Problems for the External Auditors? June 18, 2013
- NACD Provides Some Excellent Advice From a Prominent Director on Risk Oversight June 17, 2013
- An Important Reminder From COSO May 30, 2013
- Is Risk Management Part of Internal Control or Is It the Other Way Around? May 28, 2013
- Excellent Advice on Risk Oversight May 20, 2013
- Deloitte Takes a Highly Intelligent Approach to Risk Management May 3, 2013
- Gartner Points to Failures to Obtain Value From Technology April 29, 2013
- The Important Risks That Are Overlooked but Should Come First April 23, 2013
- Technology is Too Important to Leave to IT April 23, 2013
- Does It Make Sense to Discuss GRC? April 23, 2013
Recent Posts on this Blog
- Interesting initiative to combat corruption
- CIOs are stepping up as business innovators at long last
- Congratulations to Protiviti on 2013 SOX Survey
- Further reflections on the updated COSO Internal Control Framework
- Reflections on the updated COSO Internal Control Framework
- SAP’s Secret Recipe for GRC
- Why it makes sense to consider GRC
- John Fraser talks sense about risk management
- Is serving on an audit committee a job to love or fear?
- EY gets a “B-” for their IT audit guidance
- Boards should be concerned about their CEOs
- The Barriers to Effective Risk Management
- Financial services firms confused about risk management
- Deloitte Provides Advice on Risk Assessment
- Audit reports should be written in the language of the business