Risks to watch in 2011
The World Economic Forum released a report on global risks to watch in 2011. You can find it here.
I believe this is a helpful list of risks affecting the global economy – for organizations to reflect on how these issues might affect them. I would not recommend it for any other purpose.
My top ten risks (not in any order) are not nearly as exciting as floods and famine:
- The inability to practice effective risk management, enabling risk-intelligent decisions, strategies, and actions. What can you conclude when only 12% of global companies of size have a CRO?
- Failing to understand the velocity of risks, and being surprised because you only look for and consider risks every three or six months instead of managing risk at the speed of business
- Complacency by risk officers and executives – “our risk management is fine” and “we survived the last crisis so no changes are necessary”
- Being so risk-averse (due to regulatory influences, for example) that the organization fails to optimize performance
- Continuing to take risks you don’t understand (think derivatives or doing business in an emerging nation)
- Focusing on the risk of new technology (such as social media) but not leveraging it to full advantage
- Racing to leverage the benefits of technology without sufficient up-front attention to risk
- Failing to ensure the information necessary to run the business (including risk management) is timely, current, reliable, and complete – and in the hands of the people who need it
- Failing to understand that technology is changing how people live and work – and failing to adapt the business model, processes, practices, etc.
- Business as usual
What are your top ten?
Recent Posts on this Blog
- The risk of an ineffective CIO February 28, 2015
- KPMG and I talk about changes at the Audit Committee meeting February 21, 2015
- Going crazy with COSO 2013 for SOX February 18, 2015
- Drive business results by harnessing uncertainty February 7, 2015
- What should the audit committee focus on in 2015? January 31, 2015
- The Three Lines of Defense model is the Wrong model January 25, 2015
- Risk and the effective manager January 14, 2015
- Hire people who can think December 13, 2014
- Why Internal Audit Fails at Many Organizations December 6, 2014
- Risk management books I recommend November 29, 2014
- The effective audit committee November 22, 2014
- Leveraging the COSO Internal Control Update for Advantage November 15, 2014
- New E-Book on Segregation of Duties: A Review November 12, 2014
- Technology, Strategy, Cyber, and Risk November 8, 2014
- Considering reputation risk November 1, 2014
- Going Beyond Risk Levels July 21, 2014
- Time for Internal Audit to Graduate July 14, 2014
- A Whistleblower Line Is Not Enough July 7, 2014
- The State of Internal Audit June 30, 2014
- Trust May Be the Enemy of the Board June 23, 2014
- Considering the Governance Committee of the Board June 16, 2014
- Reflections on Corporate Culture After the GM and VA News June 9, 2014
- Board Oversight and Insight June 9, 2014
- The Risk of Judgment Errors in Financial Reporting May 27, 2014
- Talking Sense about COSO 2013 and SOX May 16, 2014