Risks to watch in 2011
The World Economic Forum released a report on global risks to watch in 2011. You can find it here.
I believe this is a helpful list of risks affecting the global economy – for organizations to reflect on how these issues might affect them. I would not recommend it for any other purpose.
My top ten risks (not in any order) are not nearly as exciting as floods and famine:
- The inability to practice effective risk management, enabling risk-intelligent decisions, strategies, and actions. What can you conclude when only 12% of global companies of size have a CRO?
- Failing to understand the velocity of risks, and being surprised because you only look for and consider risks every three or six months instead of managing risk at the speed of business
- Complacency by risk officers and executives – “our risk management is fine” and “we survived the last crisis so no changes are necessary”
- Being so risk-averse (due to regulatory influences, for example) that the organization fails to optimize performance
- Continuing to take risks you don’t understand (think derivatives or doing business in an emerging nation)
- Focusing on the risk of new technology (such as social media) but not leveraging it to full advantage
- Racing to leverage the benefits of technology without sufficient up-front attention to risk
- Failing to ensure the information necessary to run the business (including risk management) is timely, current, reliable, and complete – and in the hands of the people who need it
- Failing to understand that technology is changing how people live and work – and failing to adapt the business model, processes, practices, etc.
- Business as usual
What are your top ten?
Recent Posts on this Blog
- Cyber and reputation risk are dominoes February 18, 2017
- The current state of risk management February 11, 2017
- When an acceptable level of risk is not acceptable February 4, 2017
- How to mess up your risk management program January 28, 2017
- The value of a risk register January 21, 2017
- Risk in the Fourth Dimension January 15, 2017
- How much cyber risk should an organization take? January 7, 2017
- The real risks: the ones not in the typical list of top risks December 31, 2016
- An expert shares his views on the future of risk management December 18, 2016
- Selecting software to help manage user access risk December 17, 2016
- User access risk and SOX compliance December 12, 2016
- Risk and Culture December 9, 2016
- New guidance on operational risk December 3, 2016
- Why do so many practitioners misunderstand risk? November 26, 2016
- A new front opens in the SOX battle November 20, 2016
- Cyber Root Cause Alarm Bells Are Ringing February 20, 2017
- Reports That Provide Actionable Information February 14, 2017
- What Is Holding the Company Back? February 6, 2017
- Do Internal Audit Reports Matter? February 1, 2017
- Monitoring Laws and Regulations and Their Effect on Your Organization January 24, 2017
- An Important Cyberrisk Framework January 16, 2017
- Deloitte Shares a List of "Risk" Trends to Watch in 2017 and Beyond January 9, 2017
- What Does the New Year Hold for Internal Audit? January 5, 2017
- The Decision-maker's View of Risk December 19, 2016
- How Much Cyberrisk Should We Take? January 4, 2017