Risks to watch in 2011
The World Economic Forum released a report on global risks to watch in 2011. You can find it here.
I believe this is a helpful list of risks affecting the global economy – for organizations to reflect on how these issues might affect them. I would not recommend it for any other purpose.
My top ten risks (not in any order) are not nearly as exciting as floods and famine:
- The inability to practice effective risk management, enabling risk-intelligent decisions, strategies, and actions. What can you conclude when only 12% of global companies of size have a CRO?
- Failing to understand the velocity of risks, and being surprised because you only look for and consider risks every three or six months instead of managing risk at the speed of business
- Complacency by risk officers and executives – “our risk management is fine” and “we survived the last crisis so no changes are necessary”
- Being so risk-averse (due to regulatory influences, for example) that the organization fails to optimize performance
- Continuing to take risks you don’t understand (think derivatives or doing business in an emerging nation)
- Focusing on the risk of new technology (such as social media) but not leveraging it to full advantage
- Racing to leverage the benefits of technology without sufficient up-front attention to risk
- Failing to ensure the information necessary to run the business (including risk management) is timely, current, reliable, and complete – and in the hands of the people who need it
- Failing to understand that technology is changing how people live and work – and failing to adapt the business model, processes, practices, etc.
- Business as usual
What are your top ten?
Recent Posts on this Blog
- The search for effective risk appetite statements April 30, 2016
- How to assess internal audit effectiveness and value April 23, 2016
- What is the state of ERM? A new study sheds a little light April 16, 2016
- Survey results: risk-based internal audit planning April 8, 2016
- Risk and how we run our business April 2, 2016
- Which risks does IA audit? March 26, 2016
- Why do people take risks? March 25, 2016
- Some authoritative guidance on risk management and the three lines of defense March 19, 2016
- Risk Reimagined! March 12, 2016
- The obligation of the board to challenge management March 11, 2016
- Managing risk means opening your eyes every day March 5, 2016
- Should we take this risk? February 28, 2016
- Risk reporting to the board and top management February 20, 2016
- Do you have confidence in your risk management? February 13, 2016
- The Crown Jewels and Risk Management February 6, 2016
- Balancing Offense and Defense, Performance and Risk May 6, 2016
- Have You Had a Cyber or Data Breach Today? May 2, 2016
- Talking About Internal Audit Value and Leadership April 27, 2016
- Deloitte Suggests 10 Questions to "Embrace Risk and Lead Confidently" April 18, 2016
- How Many Lines Do You Need to Defend Against Risk? April 4, 2016
- Protiviti Says We Live in a More Risky World March 28, 2016
- New Governance Guidance Stretches Thinking on Ethics, Risk, and More March 21, 2016
- The Value Gap Between Internal Audit and Our Stakeholders March 14, 2016
- What Should Internal Audit be Capable of? March 7, 2016
- What Do the Auditors Really Think? February 29, 2016