Risks to watch in 2011
The World Economic Forum released a report on global risks to watch in 2011. You can find it here.
I believe this is a helpful list of risks affecting the global economy – for organizations to reflect on how these issues might affect them. I would not recommend it for any other purpose.
My top ten risks (not in any order) are not nearly as exciting as floods and famine:
- The inability to practice effective risk management, enabling risk-intelligent decisions, strategies, and actions. What can you conclude when only 12% of global companies of size have a CRO?
- Failing to understand the velocity of risks, and being surprised because you only look for and consider risks every three or six months instead of managing risk at the speed of business
- Complacency by risk officers and executives – “our risk management is fine” and “we survived the last crisis so no changes are necessary”
- Being so risk-averse (due to regulatory influences, for example) that the organization fails to optimize performance
- Continuing to take risks you don’t understand (think derivatives or doing business in an emerging nation)
- Focusing on the risk of new technology (such as social media) but not leveraging it to full advantage
- Racing to leverage the benefits of technology without sufficient up-front attention to risk
- Failing to ensure the information necessary to run the business (including risk management) is timely, current, reliable, and complete – and in the hands of the people who need it
- Failing to understand that technology is changing how people live and work – and failing to adapt the business model, processes, practices, etc.
- Business as usual
What are your top ten?
Recent Posts on this Blog
- Risk management in review April 21, 2017
- Are your internal auditors present? April 15, 2017
- The state of the internal audit profession April 6, 2017
- The Current State of Risk Oversight: Useful or Useless? April 2, 2017
- The risk of material errors in the quarterly financial statements March 10, 2017
- Is your compliance program strong enough? March 4, 2017
- Embedding risk into strategic planning and more February 25, 2017
- Cyber and reputation risk are dominoes February 18, 2017
- The current state of risk management February 11, 2017
- When an acceptable level of risk is not acceptable February 4, 2017
- How to mess up your risk management program January 28, 2017
- The value of a risk register January 21, 2017
- Risk in the Fourth Dimension January 15, 2017
- How much cyber risk should an organization take? January 7, 2017
- The real risks: the ones not in the typical list of top risks December 31, 2016
- Internal audit and fraud risk April 22, 2017
- Risk and the United Airlines Fiasco April 17, 2017
- Common Risk Management Mistakes April 10, 2017
- Culture May Be the Wrong Question April 3, 2017
- The Idea of a Unified Risk Oversight Council March 10, 2017
- The Integration of Governance, Risk, Compliance, and Related Activities March 6, 2017
- Cybersecurity Effectiveness February 27, 2017
- Cyber Root Cause Alarm Bells Are Ringing February 20, 2017
- Reports That Provide Actionable Information February 14, 2017
- What Is Holding the Company Back? February 6, 2017