Risks to watch in 2011
The World Economic Forum released a report on global risks to watch in 2011. You can find it here.
I believe this is a helpful list of risks affecting the global economy – for organizations to reflect on how these issues might affect them. I would not recommend it for any other purpose.
My top ten risks (not in any order) are not nearly as exciting as floods and famine:
- The inability to practice effective risk management, enabling risk-intelligent decisions, strategies, and actions. What can you conclude when only 12% of global companies of size have a CRO?
- Failing to understand the velocity of risks, and being surprised because you only look for and consider risks every three or six months instead of managing risk at the speed of business
- Complacency by risk officers and executives – “our risk management is fine” and “we survived the last crisis so no changes are necessary”
- Being so risk-averse (due to regulatory influences, for example) that the organization fails to optimize performance
- Continuing to take risks you don’t understand (think derivatives or doing business in an emerging nation)
- Focusing on the risk of new technology (such as social media) but not leveraging it to full advantage
- Racing to leverage the benefits of technology without sufficient up-front attention to risk
- Failing to ensure the information necessary to run the business (including risk management) is timely, current, reliable, and complete – and in the hands of the people who need it
- Failing to understand that technology is changing how people live and work – and failing to adapt the business model, processes, practices, etc.
- Business as usual
What are your top ten?
Recent Posts on this Blog
- An interesting site with blogs about IT audit and security November 28, 2015
- The House of Risk November 20, 2015
- A useful report from RIMS on the state of risk management November 14, 2015
- We weep for Paris and the world November 14, 2015
- What is GRC and does it mean anything? November 6, 2015
- Successful enterprise risk management October 31, 2015
- The State of Internal Audit Capabilities in 2015 October 26, 2015
- The State of Risk Management in Canada October 17, 2015
- Further thoughts on the Three Lines of Defense model October 14, 2015
- Who really gets risk management? October 7, 2015
- The PCAOB’s continuing concern about audits and internal control over financial reporting September 18, 2015
- Gaining acceptance for risk management September 12, 2015
- Time for internal audit transformation September 6, 2015
- A great review of World-Class Risk Management September 2, 2015
- The myth of IT risk August 28, 2015
- How Do You Assess the Management of Risk? November 23, 2015
- What the CEO Needs From the CRO November 13, 2015
- Is Your Cybersecurity Program Effective? November 9, 2015
- Explaining Risk Management in Common Sense Language October 30, 2015
- How Much Should Audit Committees Worry About Risk? October 26, 2015
- New Report from PCAOB on Audit Deficiencies October 19, 2015
- Risk in the Real World of Business October 14, 2015
- The Difference Between IT GRC and IT Security October 7, 2015
- Missing the Point When It Comes to Board Oversight of Risk Management September 21, 2015
- What Audit Committees Expect From CFOs and Others September 14, 2015