Risks to watch in 2011
The World Economic Forum released a report on global risks to watch in 2011. You can find it here.
I believe this is a helpful list of risks affecting the global economy – for organizations to reflect on how these issues might affect them. I would not recommend it for any other purpose.
My top ten risks (not in any order) are not nearly as exciting as floods and famine:
- The inability to practice effective risk management, enabling risk-intelligent decisions, strategies, and actions. What can you conclude when only 12% of global companies of size have a CRO?
- Failing to understand the velocity of risks, and being surprised because you only look for and consider risks every three or six months instead of managing risk at the speed of business
- Complacency by risk officers and executives – “our risk management is fine” and “we survived the last crisis so no changes are necessary”
- Being so risk-averse (due to regulatory influences, for example) that the organization fails to optimize performance
- Continuing to take risks you don’t understand (think derivatives or doing business in an emerging nation)
- Focusing on the risk of new technology (such as social media) but not leveraging it to full advantage
- Racing to leverage the benefits of technology without sufficient up-front attention to risk
- Failing to ensure the information necessary to run the business (including risk management) is timely, current, reliable, and complete – and in the hands of the people who need it
- Failing to understand that technology is changing how people live and work – and failing to adapt the business model, processes, practices, etc.
- Business as usual
What are your top ten?
Recent Posts on this Blog
- How much cyber risk should you take? May 24, 2015
- A huge problem with risk appetite and risk levels May 17, 2015
- Important new IFAC paper on risk management May 9, 2015
- Lessons Learned from the Transition to COSO 2013 May 3, 2015
- The most important sentence in COSO April 25, 2015
- A study in enterprise risk management April 25, 2015
- Does PwC understand risk management? April 18, 2015
- Cybersecurity is broken April 11, 2015
- Privacy Risk Management and Compliance April 4, 2015
- Understanding and managing cyber risk March 29, 2015
- Leaders you would willingly follow? March 23, 2015
- New information and perspectives on cyber security March 21, 2015
- Do you need a risk committee? March 14, 2015
- Predictions for GRC, risk management, and compliance March 7, 2015
- The risk of an ineffective CIO February 28, 2015
- Are You Getting a Quality External Audit? May 18, 2015
- The PCAOB Talks to Audit Committees May 11, 2015
- Reviewing the State of GRC May 4, 2015
- Very Few Are Good Managers. This Is an Enormous Source of Risk April 27, 2015
- Financial Reporting and the Audit Committee April 20, 2015
- Upgrading Board Performance April 13, 2015
- Explaining Risk and Internal Control While Standing on One Foot April 7, 2015
- New Advice for Audit Committees March 30, 2015
- Surviving Political Pressures When You Lead Internal Auditing March 23, 2015
- PwC Reviews the State of the Internal Audit Profession March 16, 2015