Risks to watch in 2011
The World Economic Forum released a report on global risks to watch in 2011. You can find it here.
I believe this is a helpful list of risks affecting the global economy – for organizations to reflect on how these issues might affect them. I would not recommend it for any other purpose.
My top ten risks (not in any order) are not nearly as exciting as floods and famine:
- The inability to practice effective risk management, enabling risk-intelligent decisions, strategies, and actions. What can you conclude when only 12% of global companies of size have a CRO?
- Failing to understand the velocity of risks, and being surprised because you only look for and consider risks every three or six months instead of managing risk at the speed of business
- Complacency by risk officers and executives – “our risk management is fine” and “we survived the last crisis so no changes are necessary”
- Being so risk-averse (due to regulatory influences, for example) that the organization fails to optimize performance
- Continuing to take risks you don’t understand (think derivatives or doing business in an emerging nation)
- Focusing on the risk of new technology (such as social media) but not leveraging it to full advantage
- Racing to leverage the benefits of technology without sufficient up-front attention to risk
- Failing to ensure the information necessary to run the business (including risk management) is timely, current, reliable, and complete – and in the hands of the people who need it
- Failing to understand that technology is changing how people live and work – and failing to adapt the business model, processes, practices, etc.
- Business as usual
What are your top ten?
Recent Posts on this Blog
- A study in enterprise risk management April 25, 2015
- Does PwC understand risk management? April 18, 2015
- Cybersecurity is broken April 11, 2015
- Privacy Risk Management and Compliance April 4, 2015
- Understanding and managing cyber risk March 29, 2015
- Leaders you would willingly follow? March 23, 2015
- New information and perspectives on cyber security March 21, 2015
- Do you need a risk committee? March 14, 2015
- Predictions for GRC, risk management, and compliance March 7, 2015
- The risk of an ineffective CIO February 28, 2015
- KPMG and I talk about changes at the Audit Committee meeting February 21, 2015
- Going crazy with COSO 2013 for SOX February 18, 2015
- Drive business results by harnessing uncertainty February 7, 2015
- What should the audit committee focus on in 2015? January 31, 2015
- The Three Lines of Defense model is the Wrong model January 25, 2015
- Financial Reporting and the Audit Committee April 20, 2015
- Upgrading Board Performance April 13, 2015
- Explaining Risk and Internal Control While Standing on One Foot April 7, 2015
- New Advice for Audit Committees March 30, 2015
- Surviving Political Pressures When You Lead Internal Auditing March 23, 2015
- PwC Reviews the State of the Internal Audit Profession March 16, 2015
- A New Paper on Strategic Risk Management March 9, 2015
- The Risk of Missing the Next New Technology February 27, 2015
- What CIOs Have To Say About Cyber, Information Security, and More February 23, 2015
- New Report Confirms the Failure of Risk Management Practices February 19, 2015