Does your crisis response plan consider social media?
Every company, every organization, faces the public and community every minute of every day on social media. That is where many people will look to see how you respond to and handle adverse events – and where your customers and influencers of your customers will share their views and opinions.
Have you included in your crisis response plan how and when you will respond in social media?
Consider the lessons of Carnival Cruise Corp, described vividly in this article.
Does everybody who needs to act understand how to act? Can you afford to wait 6 days (as in the story) before addressing the issue?
How will you get the information to the right people, in a timely fashion, so they can respond appropriately? Don’t forget you need to notify and train everybody, from the board to the first-line employee and even your extended enterprise!
What will you do if somebody within your organization posts inaccurate of inappropriate comments?
What will you do if you are slammed with a volume of negative comments, even outright lies?
How will you monitor the effectiveness of your crisis response?
Recent Posts on this Blog
- Risk and Culture December 9, 2016
- New guidance on operational risk December 3, 2016
- Why do so many practitioners misunderstand risk? November 26, 2016
- A new front opens in the SOX battle November 20, 2016
- Internal audit reports do the function a great disservice November 12, 2016
- My new book on Auditing that Matters is available November 9, 2016
- Time for a leap change in risk management guidance November 5, 2016
- Cyber security and the board October 29, 2016
- The biggest obstacle to effective risk management October 28, 2016
- A revolution in risk management October 22, 2016
- Why do people commit fraud? October 14, 2016
- What could go wrong with strategy and its execution? October 6, 2016
- Is a new maturity model for GRC the right model? September 25, 2016
- The Wells Fargo “Staff Scam”: More questions and fewer answers September 16, 2016
- The astonishing Wells Fargo fraud September 10, 2016
- How Much Cyberrisk Should We Take? December 9, 2016
- Do We Know How to Audit Technology-related Risks? December 5, 2016
- The State of Information or Cybersecurity November 28, 2016
- Back to the Future for Internal Audit November 21, 2016
- How Do You Change the Culture of the Organization? November 15, 2016
- Why Does ERM Fail So Often? November 7, 2016
- Incentives and Ethics: Transparency International Speaks Out October 31, 2016
- A COSO Gem Helps Assess Risks and Related Control Deficiencies October 25, 2016
- Focusing on the Wrong Line of Defense October 17, 2016
- Internal Audit and the Internet of Things October 10, 2016