Technology continues to change our personal and work lives
One of the fascinating aspects of my job is the ability to watch and wonder at the new ‘stuff’ that is coming out. I use it in my presentations, trying to alert governance, risk, and assurance professionals that while it is only right and proper for them to be concerned about the risks being created, they should be excited at the opportunities that they have for enhancing their own effectiveness.
I continue to be astonished when I ask an audience of professionals two questions:
- Are you worried about the risks from social media, cloud, mobile, etc? Everybody puts the hands up. Then I ask:
- Are you using or planning to use social media, cloud, mobile, etc. in your own work? Almost nobody raises their hands
My presentations continue with a discussion of how we can use this technology to improve governance, risk management, controls assurance, etc. I tell people that the future is only limited by their imagination – how creative they are in using the new tools.
I want to share some great videos that offer a glimpse into the future.
- Today I watched a new video from SAP that shows people using mobile technology to run the business, from people on the production line, to professionals in their office, and then to shoppers and shop assistants.
- Corning has another fine piece. While the SAP video showcases current technology (rapidly being enhanced), this one is more futuristic.
- Google’s contributions includes this one about augmented reality, using glasses
- IBM has another version of augmented reality, featuring Watson
There are quite a few more on You Tube. Which are your favorites?
Recent Posts on this Blog
- Is a new maturity model for GRC the right model? September 25, 2016
- The Wells Fargo “Staff Scam”: More questions and fewer answers September 16, 2016
- The astonishing Wells Fargo fraud September 10, 2016
- Leading an effective information security capability September 4, 2016
- Have your provided comments on the COSO ERM draft? August 31, 2016
- How to do your internal audit risk assessment August 27, 2016
- Do techies really understand cyber risk? August 20, 2016
- Continuing to learn about culture from Toyota August 13, 2016
- The danger of an arrogant board August 7, 2016
- The Board and Technology: Questions to ask the management team July 31, 2016
- IIA Insights on Internal Audit Effectiveness July 22, 2016
- Deloitte predicts change for Internal Audit July 20, 2016
- Risk and Opportunity Management July 2, 2016
- Risk reporting to the Board June 26, 2016
- We need to review and provide feedback on the COSO ERM Exposure Draft June 19, 2016
- Fraud, Abuse, and Corruption September 26, 2016
- Reconsidering the Board: Its Composition and Oversight of Management September 19, 2016
- Time for the Board to Take a Deep Dive Into Risk Management and Risks September 12, 2016
- Oversight of the External Auditor September 6, 2016
- Signs of a Failing Board August 29, 2016
- Contrasting Comments on Internal Audit From a CAE and a Consultant August 23, 2016
- Asking the Tough Questions About Internal Audit August 15, 2016
- When Risk Management Fails August 8, 2016
- An Internal Audit Ambition Model August 1, 2016
- Understanding and Assessing Governance Risk July 25, 2016