Technology continues to change our personal and work lives
One of the fascinating aspects of my job is the ability to watch and wonder at the new ‘stuff’ that is coming out. I use it in my presentations, trying to alert governance, risk, and assurance professionals that while it is only right and proper for them to be concerned about the risks being created, they should be excited at the opportunities that they have for enhancing their own effectiveness.
I continue to be astonished when I ask an audience of professionals two questions:
- Are you worried about the risks from social media, cloud, mobile, etc? Everybody puts the hands up. Then I ask:
- Are you using or planning to use social media, cloud, mobile, etc. in your own work? Almost nobody raises their hands
My presentations continue with a discussion of how we can use this technology to improve governance, risk management, controls assurance, etc. I tell people that the future is only limited by their imagination – how creative they are in using the new tools.
I want to share some great videos that offer a glimpse into the future.
- Today I watched a new video from SAP that shows people using mobile technology to run the business, from people on the production line, to professionals in their office, and then to shoppers and shop assistants.
- Corning has another fine piece. While the SAP video showcases current technology (rapidly being enhanced), this one is more futuristic.
- Google’s contributions includes this one about augmented reality, using glasses
- IBM has another version of augmented reality, featuring Watson
There are quite a few more on You Tube. Which are your favorites?
Recent Posts on this Blog
- The risk of material errors in the quarterly financial statements March 10, 2017
- Is your compliance program strong enough? March 4, 2017
- Embedding risk into strategic planning and more February 25, 2017
- Cyber and reputation risk are dominoes February 18, 2017
- The current state of risk management February 11, 2017
- When an acceptable level of risk is not acceptable February 4, 2017
- How to mess up your risk management program January 28, 2017
- The value of a risk register January 21, 2017
- Risk in the Fourth Dimension January 15, 2017
- How much cyber risk should an organization take? January 7, 2017
- The real risks: the ones not in the typical list of top risks December 31, 2016
- An expert shares his views on the future of risk management December 18, 2016
- Selecting software to help manage user access risk December 17, 2016
- User access risk and SOX compliance December 12, 2016
- Risk and Culture December 9, 2016
- The Idea of a Unified Risk Oversight Council March 10, 2017
- The Integration of Governance, Risk, Compliance, and Related Activities March 6, 2017
- Cybersecurity Effectiveness February 27, 2017
- Cyber Root Cause Alarm Bells Are Ringing February 20, 2017
- Reports That Provide Actionable Information February 14, 2017
- What Is Holding the Company Back? February 6, 2017
- Do Internal Audit Reports Matter? February 1, 2017
- Monitoring Laws and Regulations and Their Effect on Your Organization January 24, 2017
- An Important Cyberrisk Framework January 16, 2017
- Deloitte Shares a List of "Risk" Trends to Watch in 2017 and Beyond January 9, 2017