Technology continues to change our personal and work lives
One of the fascinating aspects of my job is the ability to watch and wonder at the new ‘stuff’ that is coming out. I use it in my presentations, trying to alert governance, risk, and assurance professionals that while it is only right and proper for them to be concerned about the risks being created, they should be excited at the opportunities that they have for enhancing their own effectiveness.
I continue to be astonished when I ask an audience of professionals two questions:
- Are you worried about the risks from social media, cloud, mobile, etc? Everybody puts the hands up. Then I ask:
- Are you using or planning to use social media, cloud, mobile, etc. in your own work? Almost nobody raises their hands
My presentations continue with a discussion of how we can use this technology to improve governance, risk management, controls assurance, etc. I tell people that the future is only limited by their imagination – how creative they are in using the new tools.
I want to share some great videos that offer a glimpse into the future.
- Today I watched a new video from SAP that shows people using mobile technology to run the business, from people on the production line, to professionals in their office, and then to shoppers and shop assistants.
- Corning has another fine piece. While the SAP video showcases current technology (rapidly being enhanced), this one is more futuristic.
- Google’s contributions includes this one about augmented reality, using glasses
- IBM has another version of augmented reality, featuring Watson
There are quite a few more on You Tube. Which are your favorites?
Recent Posts on this Blog
- Risk in the Fourth Dimension January 15, 2017
- How much cyber risk should an organization take? January 7, 2017
- The real risks: the ones not in the typical list of top risks December 31, 2016
- An expert shares his views on the future of risk management December 18, 2016
- Selecting software to help manage user access risk December 17, 2016
- User access risk and SOX compliance December 12, 2016
- Risk and Culture December 9, 2016
- New guidance on operational risk December 3, 2016
- Why do so many practitioners misunderstand risk? November 26, 2016
- A new front opens in the SOX battle November 20, 2016
- Internal audit reports do the function a great disservice November 12, 2016
- My new book on Auditing that Matters is available November 9, 2016
- Time for a leap change in risk management guidance November 5, 2016
- Cyber security and the board October 29, 2016
- The biggest obstacle to effective risk management October 28, 2016
- An Important Cyberrisk Framework January 16, 2017
- Deloitte Shares a List of "Risk" Trends to Watch in 2017 and Beyond January 9, 2017
- What Does the New Year Hold for Internal Audit? January 5, 2017
- The Decision-maker's View of Risk December 19, 2016
- How Much Cyberrisk Should We Take? January 4, 2017
- Do We Know How to Audit Technology-related Risks? December 5, 2016
- The State of Information or Cybersecurity November 28, 2016
- Back to the Future for Internal Audit November 21, 2016
- How Do You Change the Culture of the Organization? November 15, 2016
- Why Does ERM Fail So Often? November 7, 2016